Inspection and Licensing of HMOs
Houses in multiple occupation in general often present significant challenges to local authorities and this is especially true of the higher risk HMOs subject to mandatory licensing.
This course covers the broader issues affecting HMO licensing and other aspects of private sector housing and related functions. The course areas include:
- Ensuring that licensing is consistent with your Private Sector Housing Strategy (and broader Housing Strategy)
- How to prioritise compliance inspections (licensing conditions, HHSRS & LACORS)
- Partnership working with other authorities to share information and develop a co-ordinated approach
- Working with other agencies eg Homelessness, Housing Options and Planning
- Links with accreditation schemes
- The relationship between licensing and the Decent Homes Standard
- Energy efficiency in HMOs
- Discretionary licensing – when is this appropriate and how to implement
- Best practice illustrated with case studies
If you want a bespoke course to cover the topics or areas that interest you most, in particular if you want a more ‘nuts and bolts’ approach for staff less experience with HMOs, then please contact us to discuss your requirements.
We also offer a Fire Safety Course which places its main emphasis on fire safety in HMOs